Wednesday, July 8, 2009

group email from June 20

Here we are, Pizmo beach and all the clams we can eat! (that's a Bugs Bunny quote for those of you that don't know:-) ) We are in China! Can you believe it?! We are so tired we may fall over dead at any moment, but we're here! All of our flights went smoothly- no delays or anything. I thought I was going to lose my mind though during the last leg of our trip from Tokyo to Guangzhou. My legs were killing me and I didn't sleep at all the entire time- Kevin didn't either. But I have to tell you, when our plane pulled up to the airport in Guangzhou and I saw that big Chinese flag blowing in the breeze, it made my heart thump like crazy. We are really here. We are getting C. It is really happening! It's after midnight now. So we couldn't see much driving in the dark to the hotel. You can tell that there is a lot of smog. You can even smell it. The city is huge. We drove for 40 minutes and there was no end to it in sight. We saw a huge billboard for the NBA. There's nothing like going to the other side of the world and seeing a giant photo of Colby Bryant... too funny. All of the buildings are high rises. There are really modern looking high rises right next to another one that looks like it's about to collapse. And yet both are equally full of people. I saw another high rise with giant bamboo scaffolding on the outside. Such enormous "logs" of bamboo that they can be used to make scaffolding for such a large building. The traffic wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but it's really late at night too. The heat.... oh my gosh- I can't even describe it. It gets really hot in the summers back home. But this....wow. and then the humidity....it feels like you're trying to walk around in boiling soup (and have to breath it at the same time.) And again- it's after midnight... I can't imagine what it'll be like during the day! We'll probably find out tomorrow though:-) Well, we need to get some sleep! By the way, did I mention that we are in China?:-)
Love, Anita (and Kevin who is already in bed...)
ps it doesn't look like we'll be able to blog while we're here- so it'll be group emails...

No comments:

Post a Comment