Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Qi Balancing Soup

I'm rather passionate about how we eat. When a woman has PCOS she needs to be extra careful, especially since maintaining your weight with PCOS is REALLY tough. Several years ago I began researching Chinese medicine and the principles for balancing the Qi. I came across Randine Lewis' book:  http://www.amazon.com/Infertility-Cure-Ancient-Wellness-Pregnant/dp/0316172294
 At the time I was not interested in getting pregnant, just getting my symptoms under control, ovarian cycts, pain, etc. Following the diet suggestions changed my health and my life. I never thought I'd be able to go through an entire monthly cycle without extreme pain (or even slight pain.) I began making up my own recipes that met these guidelines. This year the thing we are trying to be better at is eating vegetables and fruits according to their seasons. Again, I am amazed by what a simple change like this can do to my own health. Here is my seasonal soup recipe:

Anita’s Qi Balancing Soup (also called Word of Wisdom Soup)
D&C 89:11 “Every Herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving”

Depending on the season, I change some of the vegetables that we use. I’ll list the ingredients that always stay the same, and then list the additional ingredients that are added depending on the time of year.
This recipe is made for an 11-quart pot. You will need to make your own adjustments for a smaller pot. Fill the pot about ¾ with veggies and then enough water to cover it (this makes a nice, filling soup.)
Basic ingredients:
1 bag (16oz) raw lentils (add to the pot raw, do not pre-cook!)
1 large Onion, chopped
5 carrots
-5-6 cubes vegetable bouillon (we use the brand organic Better Than Bouillon vegetable base. It has less sodium and we like the flavor. It is a paste so we use about 6 tsp of it)
-Several big pinches of herb mix (use your favorite herbs or Italian herb mix will work)
a big shake of Kirkland’s no salt seasoning (Costco brand seasoning)
Optional base ingredients:
4 large cloves garlic, chopped (I like garlic so sometimes I'll add quite a bit)
a “handful” of chopped Shitake mushrooms

Additional ingredients Summer- Early Fall
3-4 large Mustard Green leaves, shredded and chopped
1 large eggplant (or 3-4 small Japanese eggplants), sliced
1-2 Small zucchini peeled and sliced
2-3 crookneck squash, (if the plants are young and the skin is still soft, then they don’t need to be peeled, if the skin is hard, then peel the squash first) sliced
½ -1 Daikon Radish, peeled and grated
Optional ingredients:
10 stalks Asparagus (for really thin Asparagus you may need to add more), sliced
A handful fresh green beans, chopped
Several peppers, sliced and diced
Any other summer grown vegetables work

Additional ingredients late Fall-Winter:
½ Bok Choy or ½ head cabbage, shredded and sliced
½-1 Daikon Radish, peeled and grated
½-1 Butternut squash, peeled, sliced and diced
5(about) more carrots (that’s in addition to the 5 carrots already being used)
Optional ingredients:
-When the soup is finished, you can add cooked brown rice to make it heartier.
-We have also added Spaghetti Squash “noodles” to the soup but the Spaghetti Squash must be prepared ahead of time and the noodles added once the soup is finished cooking.

2 comments:

  1. I love lentil soup. I make split pea more often, but think maybe I'll throw some of this lentil soup in the crockpot for tonight. Don't have any carrots on hand, though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dielle, you gave me your split pea soup recipe once but I don't think I have it anymore. Can you give it to me again?

    ReplyDelete